3 Ways to Make Your Neutral Paint Color POP

For many homeowners, choosing a neutral paint color during a home renovation can be boring or the “easy way out.” We’re here to tell you to embrace your neutral hues! Neutrals are “trend-proof” and never go out of style. They promote extreme versatility when choosing decor and furniture while standing the test of time. Will you want a warm or a cool neutral? Beige or gray? There are plenty of choices that will still need to be made that will drastically influence how the color looks in your home.

Still not convinced? See below for three ways to make your neutral paint color pop!

What’s Black and White and Neutral all over?

dark greige wall with green sideboard

A well-designed room, that’s what. Black and white stand at each end of the light spectrum and can help you define a room. Adding in black and charcoal throughout will add punctuation and depth to a room and will lend elegance to even the most neutral of tones. For a vibrant contrast, slide down to the other end of the spectrum and consider a bright white. A creamy white will bring a room to life and help add more light, brightening up both warm and cool neutrals. While these two colors are opposites, either will make a neutral stand out as a beautiful shade of its own in your home.

Color You Can Feel

And we mean literally. If you are feeling blasé with your selected neutral tone, consider a textured look on your walls. Sponging techniques can add a rustic, aged look to walls, and dry-brushing gives a room that cozy, getaway feeling. Alternatively, you can add a decorative glaze or texture sand over your paint color as a top coat for a dramatic, unique look.

The 80-20 Rule

avocado green accent wall

When it comes to adding a pop of color to a neutral room, be sure to follow the 80-20 rule so that you don’t add too much. Whether it is a classic black or white, a bold red or a brilliant blue, you should allow no more than 20% of your room to be in your accent color. Whether this means an accent wall, wall decor, rugs or furniture, stick to 20%. The remaining 80% of your room should remain in neutral tones, which will look warm and inviting paired with your accent color.